Chemistry Post-Baccalaureate Research Education Program
Are you a recent college graduate from a traditionally underrepresented background seeking research experience to help you place into a Ph.D. program? Yale’s ESI PREP (Emerging Scholars Initiative Post-Baccalaureate Research Education Program) may be the perfect opportunity for you.
The Yale Chemistry Department has teamed up with the American Chemical Society (ACS) Bridge Program and the Yale Office of Graduate Student Development and Diversity to support multiple postbaccalaureate students in the ESI PREP program from June 2023 – May 2024.
Accepted students work closely with faculty and graduate students in laboratories doing world-leading research. Each student will receive a $32,000 stipend, health insurance, tuition for courses, money towards a new laptop computer, and travel-related expenses.
Students will have the opportunity to develop leadership skills through involvement in student groups, such as:
- The Professional Development Network to develop career opportunities,
- The Joint Safety Team to enhance lab safety,
- The Women in Science at Yale club,
- The Yale chapter of National Organization for the Professional Advancement of Black Chemists and Chemical Engineers, and
- The Diversity and Climate Committee, which organizes student-led initiatives like diversity movie nights and the DEI Advocates peer support group.
Chemists in the Yale ESI PREP program will mix with other postbaccalaureate students across the sciences and humanities on campus. This program starts in the summer and features resume building, career workshops, preparation for graduate applications, as well as research and coursework. Yale’s PREP programs have an excellent track record of placing students into graduate school programs.
To participate in the program, you must:
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident and
- Have earned your bachelor’s degree in a relevant field prior to the start of the program, but no more than three years before you apply to the program.
Applications are due by February 28, 2023.
Yale ESI PREP students will also be integrated into the ACS Bridge program and receive resources from them. Please notice that the Yale deadline is earlier than the ACS Bridge deadline because the Yale program starts in June.
If you have any questions, please contact Kara Swenson, Professor Patrick Holland, or Professor Caitlin Davis.