Preference Selection for Spring Semester 2023
NOTE IMPORTANT DATES & TIMES: The Department of Chemistry has different dates and times than what is stated on the University Registrar’s Office.
Our Preference Selection opens at 9:00 a.m., Monday, December 5, and closes at 5:00 p.m., Monday, December 12.
The following courses require students to give their preferred time for discussion or lab sections in Preference Selection.
The Chemistry DUS Academic Support team will email instructions to registered students at the beginning of December to rank their top three section choices from the courses below.
- CHEM 134L General Chemistry Laboratory I
- CHEM 136L General Chemistry Laboratory II
- CHEM 161 General Chemistry I
- CHEM 165 General Chemistry II
- CHEM 167 Advanced General Chemistry II
- CHEM 175 Organic Chemistry for First Year Students II
- CHEM 220 Organic Chemistry
- CHEM 221 The Organic Chemistry of Life Processes
- CHEM 222L Laboratory for Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM 223L Laboratory for Organic Chemistry II
- CHEM 251L Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory
- CHEM 252 Introductory Inorganic Chemistry
- CHEM 333 Physical Chemistry with Applications in the Physical Sciences II
Students will then be able to rank specific days and times for discussion and laboratory sections in the Preference Selection system. Note, Friday lab sections are very limited due to spacing and lab capacities.
Once assignments are finalized, discussion sections will be automatically added to your registration worksheet. This may take up to two weeks. So please be patient and keep checking your worksheet.
To switch your discussion section, you must wait until the add/drop period and see the instructions on the registrar’s website.
For answers to frequently asked questions, read the Preference Selection FAQs.