Emerging Scholars Initiative Post-Bac Research Education Program (ESI PREP)
Are you a recent college graduate from a traditionally underrepresented background seeking research experience to help you place into a Ph.D. program? The ESI PREP post-baccalaureate program may be the perfect opportunity for you.
The Yale Chemistry Department has teamed up with the ACS Bridge Program and the Yale Office of Graduate Student Development and Diversity to support multiple post-baccalaureate students in the ESI PREP program from June 2022 – May 2023. Accepted students will receive a $32,000 stipend, health insurance, tuition for courses, a new laptop computer, and travel-related expenses.
Each student works closely with faculty members and graduate students in laboratories doing world-leading research. In addition, students have the opportunity to develop leadership skills through involvement in student groups, such as:
- The Professional Development Network to develop career opportunities,
- The Joint Safety Team to enhance lab safety, the Women in Science at Yale club,
- The Yale chapter of National Organization for the Professional Advancement of Black Chemists and Chemical Engineers, and
- The Diversity and Climate Committee, which creates student-led initiatives like diversity movie nights and the DEI Advocates peer support group.
Chemists in the Yale ESI PREP program will mix with other post-baccalaureate students across the sciences and humanities on campus. This program starts in the summer and features resume building, career workshops, preparation for graduate applications, as well as research and coursework. Yale’s PREP programs have an excellent track record of placing students into top programs.
To participate in the program, you must:
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident and
- Have earned your bachelor’s degree in a relevant field prior to the start of the program, but no more than three years before you apply to the program.
Applications are due by February 28.
ESI PREP students will also be integrated into the ACS Bridge program and receive resources from the American Chemical Society. Please notice that the Yale deadline is earlier than the ACS Bridge deadline because the ESI PREP program starts in June.